Carbonic anhydrase-inhibiting medications and the intracarotid amobarbital procedure in children

Thomas G. Burns, Gregory P. Lee, Megan L. McCormick, Ashley N. Pettoni, J. Robert Flamini, Morris Cohen

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

9 Scopus citations


The intracarotid amobarbital procedure (IAP) is routinely conducted as part of the presurgical evaluation of pediatric patients with epilepsy. The aim of the present study was to investigate the possibility that anesthetization failures are the result of interactions of carbonic anhydrase-inhibiting (CAI) medications with sodium amobarbital. An archival review of 81 cases conducted between 1999 and 2008 was performed across two pediatric epilepsy centers. χ2 analysis was used to assess whether CAI medications interfered with the outcome of these procedures. Of 81 patients, 85.2% had conclusive findings. All of the remaining 14.8% with anesthetization failures were taking CAI medications at the time of the procedure. However, 53.8% of patients taking CAI medications had conclusive results. This suggests that these medications may interact with sodium amobarbital, raising the possibility of anesthetization failures in children prescribed CAI medications.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)240-244
Number of pages5
JournalEpilepsy and Behavior
Issue number2
StatePublished - Jun 2009


  • Antiepileptic medications
  • Epilepsy
  • Intracarotid amobarbital procedure
  • Neuropsychology
  • Pediatrics
  • Wada procedure

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Neurology
  • Clinical Neurology
  • Behavioral Neuroscience


Dive into the research topics of 'Carbonic anhydrase-inhibiting medications and the intracarotid amobarbital procedure in children'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this